Prepared to have your mind blown with these MATCHA CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRIES! I have literally been itching to get this recipe on the blog since I created them just a few days ago. Because this is a summer dessert you don’t want to miss – I mean just look at them! It’s the ultimate dream dessert.
This recipe uses three infamous ingredients: lush seasonal strawberries, white (vegan) chocolate and our beloved matcha! Are you drooling yet? Let me tell you, if you’re a fan of chocolate covered strawberries (silly questions because who isn’t?) you’re going to live for this recipe! It’s a heavenly healthy(ish), gluten-free, sweet treat that will take you from zero to bliss. Prepare to have your girls flocking over upon seeing your insta stories of this gorgeous sweet treat.
Okay, so I know that matcha is very “on trend” at the moment. Matcha lattes, donuts, pancakes and matcha chia pudding are loading up our Pinterest and instagram feeds like its going out of style – but I certainly hope that like avo toast this trend is here to stay, because I LOVE matcha so MATCHA! If you haven’t heard me preach this wonderful powder enough I’m here to do it again: Matcha is earthy and rich, creamy and sweet. It’s comforting, inviting, and totally zen, and best of all it’s not just reserved for tea time – we too can enjoy matcha in our favourite desserts; like these gorgeous Matcha Chocolate Covered Strawberries.
But let’s not forget another important contributor to this sweet feast: Vegan white chocolate. I’ll be honest in telling you that vegan white chocolate was no easy find here in France! I’ve been on a mish to find it for what feels like a year, and I finally I succeeded! Let me tell you, I’ve been highly jealous of my Canadian, U.S., U.K., and Australian friends who post gorgeous breakfast and dessert recipes with a few vegan white chocolate squares peeking out! If you live in these countries I guarantee you’ll have no problem finding vegan white chocolate at Wholefoods or other organic grocers. I found mine eventually at the bio store, Bio C’est Bon, so keep your eyes peeled at the organic grocers! It is a gorgeous creamy vegan chocolate that’s worth searching for.
So now let’s get to the dipping! I will tell you that Chocolate Covered Strawberries is no foreign recipe to me. I actually make them a lot because they are my husbands favourite dessert, and they are actually a lot less intimidating to make than one might think. But there are some things I have learned along the way to mastering this technique that I’d like to share with you.
So here are 3 easy tips to perfecting Chocolate Covered Strawberries:
1. Make sure your strawberries are COMPLETELY DRY. This is very important after washing them. We don’t want any water getting between the strawberries and the chocolate – it will mess up the binding and will stop your chocolate from staying smooth.
2. Coconut oil is your friend. This is the key ingredient to making that chocolate smooth and silky. After melting the chocolate, add in a spoonful of coconut oil and mix. The result will be a creamy and smooth chocolate sauce for dipping. (Again, be sure to avoid getting any water into the mix because it will affect the smoothness of your chocolate – that’s the last thing we want).
3. STIR OFTEN! So this is actually specific to white chocolate dip. With dark chocolate, the dip tends to remain smooth and liquid. I think it’s because it has a lower melting temp; but I’m no scientist. I did notice however that white chocolate stiffens a lot quicker. You want to make sure that before dipping each strawberry that you mix the chocolate with a wooden spoon to ensure it’s smooth again. It’s a super easy step that you don’t want to forget.
With these three tips I’m sure you’ll have matcha success with these chocolate covered strawberries! It’s time to make the most of these beautiful summer berries, and to blow your the minds off your loved ones. Nothing says you’ve got your shit together like laying out some matcha chocolate strawberries. I hope you have your camera ready, because this is boss babe dessert is worth an insta photo.
Matcha Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 2 lbs strawberries (32 oz/900g)
- 2 vegan white chocolate bars
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2-1 tsp matcha powder
- candied sprinkles optional for topping
- Wash strawberries and pat completely dry. Be sure there is no remaining water on strawberries.
- Add 2 inches water to a small saucepan and bring to simmer. Place a heat proof glass bowl on top of the pot, making sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Add vegan white chocolate, coconut oil and matcha powder to the bowl. Stir until melted and combined.
- Pierce the top of a strawberry (stem side) with a fork and dip onto chocolate twisting and rolling to coat. Place dipped strawberry on parchment lined tray and gently remove fork. Optional to sprinkle with candied sprinkles.
- Stir white chocolate to ensure it's smooth again, and then repeat Step 3 of dipping strawberry into chocolate and placing on tray. Continue this process of stirring and dipping until you've coated all the strawberries.
- Place chocolate covered strawberries in the fridge to harden for at least 10-15 minutes.
VEGAN – VEGETARIAN – WHEAT-FREE – GLUTEN-FREE – DAIRY-FREE – SOY-FREE – NUT-FREE – RAW