Hi friends! I feel like the world has been going through a cold spell these last few days. It’s even snowing here in Lille this morning, which is not very common. And so I figured what better recipe to share than the coziest breakfast bowl of all time: my PB&J with Fried Banana Porridge Oats.
This recipe is sweet and comforting. It’s an easy recipe made by simmering oats and chia in oat milk. Then topped with my homemade raspberry chia jam, creamy peanut butter and fried banana. There is nothing more cozy than this oatmeal porridge bowl.
This recipe is just what we need for a Monday morning – It’s fast an effective! Altogether it takes no more than 10 minutes to put together. And it’s a warming bowl to prepare you for the cold outdoors. Using large flake oats the recipe needs only a few minutes on simmer to soften. Then it’s ready for some quick toppings. Here I’ve used my homemade raspberry chia jam, of course you can use whatever jam you fancy but I abolsutley love this jam and have a batch in my fridge at all times.
The chia jam is made by cooking frozen raspberries and chia in a saucepan and sweetening with some maple syrup. It’s soooo sweet and and lush, and a much healthier alternative to store-bought jams that are often chocoblocked with sugar. With this jam you know exactly what’s gone into making it. It’s healthy and wholesome. I love it topped on toast, pancakes, scooped onto dates (like in the pic above) and on top of porridge oats.
As for the bananas, I’ve fried them in a bit of coconut oil on my skillet. If you’re asking why fry bananas than clearly you’ve yet to try them. Sauteed bananas are like a dessert! When fried they turn into this caramelized and warm treat. It’s decadent! The first time I tried fried bananas I couldn’t believe it was as simple as frying banana on a skillet with coconut oil. I thought for sure there was added sugar or maple syrup. But no, fried banana is one of life’s secret sweet pleasures.
The entire combo from the homemade raspberry chia jam to the fried banana and gooey peanut makes for a dream porridge bowl from the first bite to the last. I promise this breakfast porridge bowl will not disappoint. If you’re a fan of porridge oats, especially on a cold snowy day like this one, this bowl is a mood enhancer. I do hope you’ll give this recipe a try.
And, if you do make this recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I love hearing from you. And of course, tag me on Instagram with the hashtag #twospoons. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
PB&J with Fried Banana Porridge Oats
- 1/3 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 2/3 cup oat milk (or other plantbased milk, plus more if desired)
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp all-natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp homemade raspberry chia jam or jam of choice
- 1 tsp dark chocolate chips , to sprinkle (optional)
- In a saucepan combine oats, chia and oat milk (or milk of choice). Whisk to combine and bring to a simmer. Let oats simmer for about 5 minutes, or until oats are porridge consistency. Remove from heat. Optional to add maple syrup to sweeten, and more milk if desired for consistency.
- While you're waiting for your oats to cook, fry your banana. Chop 1/2 banana and add slices to a skillet with coconut oil. Bring to medium-high heat and fry banana until golden in colour (about 2 minutes). Flip and cook the other side until golden (about 30 seconds).
- Pour porridge oats into bowl and top with peanut butter, homemade raspberry chai jam (or jam of choice), and fried banana slices. Optional to sprinkle with chocolate chips.